On-premises or in the cloud: Where should I run my enterprise mobility solutions?
Whether Enterprise Mobility Management, Mobile Device Management or Mobile Security Software –when it comes to all solutions aimed at managing and securing mobile devices, the question facing companies is where they should be run.
- The first variant – on-premises – calls for the software to be installed in a company’s data center.
- The second variant – in the cloud – has the software located in the provider’s data center with web-based use. Here, a business can either use a public cloud solution, where one instance is used by several companies, or it can order a dedicated cloud solution, where a dedicated instance is set up for that business (private cloud solution).
This article will point out the advantages and disadvantages of each variant.
On-premises solutions: Complete control for companies
- The advantages here are that the company has full control over the system and that the processed data always remains within its own infrastructure. Implementation can be tailored to meet the company’s needs, and in the event of server problems, the company can determine how quickly they are resolved through its own actions.
- However, this is more time-consuming and requires greater personnel and further training resources, as the company itself is responsible for configuring, managing, securing and maintaining the solution, or buys in services in the form of service and support agreement in order to safeguard operations.
Public cloud solutions: Maximum service and always up to date
- The big advantage here is the huge saving in time and effort for companies because the provider covers all aspects, whether implementation, management, security or maintenance. The company does not have to invest in new hardware, its IT infrastructure is freed up, a high level of service is provided, and the software can be used immediately, and a high level of service is provided. The fact is that service providers adapt their services and all the processes required to run the solution exactly to the cloud solution and are able to quickly respond to new market and security requirements. This is why cloud solutions are always fully up to date.
- At the same time, there are still a lot of skepticism and security concerns about cloud solutions, as they do not give companies complete control over the performance and safety of the software and the data. A survey conducted by industry association Bitkom revealed that 63% of respondents are concerned about unauthorized access to their data in the cloud, and 69% have suffered at least short-term outages of their cloud solutions.
The subject of data security is a core aspect that cloud solution vendors need to address, especially now that the new General Data Protection Regulation is in force. A server location within the EU is a must if they wish their solution to be GDPR-compliant. And the provider must also guarantee smooth operation so that a company can rely on the software.
Dedicated cloud solutions: Maximum service and extreme customization
- This offers the same advantages as a public cloud solution – plus a whole lot more. In this case, the instance can be adapted to meet exactly the requirements of the company, guaranteeing a maximum degree of customization. And companies also have an influence on when a release update should take place. This means that updates can be better integrated into business processes, guaranteeing maximum flexibility.
EBF solutions: The choice is yours!
“With on-premises solutions, our customers can depend on us to provide smooth installation on their servers. This means that they retain complete control over their IT environment,” explains Marco Föllmer, Managing Partner and founder of EBF GmbH. “And if you wish to reduce the workload for your IT department and rely on a dependable service and the highest security standards, our cloud services are the right choice for you.” This is because EBF’s high-performance servers are located in secure data centers in Germany that are certified in accordance with ISO 27001 and can therefore dispel any security concerns.
Markus Adolph, also Managing Partner and co-founder of EBF GmbH, explains: “Choosing a cloud solution doesn’t mean you have to forgo customization and flexibility. Besides the public cloud solutions, for which we can guarantee that everything is completely up to date, we can also offer you dedicated cloud solutions for which we adapt the instances to meet your requirements and perform updates in coordination with you.” Around 150,000 devices already successfully hosted by EBF speak for the quality of the solutions offered.
No matter which variant you choose, EBF will always offer you the highest standards of service and guarantee that your data is protected securely. And if you are still undecided about which solution is the right one for you, we will be happy to advise you further.